Friday, February 5, 2010

Over and Over

Is Groundhog Day the Bill Murray movie where he has to live the same day over and over until he gets it right? (I know, I could look it up but certitude isn’t all it’s cracked up to be.) Whatever movie that is, that’s my current experience. I’m completely hung up on the next step in a multi-step project and have been banging my head against the wall on it for days. OK, weeks, if you want to get all precise and picky about it. Whatever.

This morning, I realized, again, that what I need to do is to break it into much smaller chunks and start that way. Even though the smaller chunks are also difficult and the way forward isn’t entirely clear, the first one is at least a more plausible task that has a beginning that can be approached.

Why is this a lesson about doing hard, big projects that needs to be re-found so many times? Why doesn’t this wisdom stick and why isn’t it accessible every time there’s something complicated and hard to be done?

Yours in frustration. At least it is finally Friday this week. Only the afternoon and then tomorrow’s keynote speech before it’s the weekend. Sort of.

No comments:

Post a Comment