Friday, September 4, 2009

Next Steps

The governor announced new Trustees for the university this morning. Whoever those people are, and what they decide to do, will set the direction for the future for many people. Wish the governor wisdom in the face of Illinois politics and the same for those who are appointed. Much rests upon it.

The weather continues to provide lovely sunshine every day. I’m adapting to the walk to and from campus, having given up my parking place. One adjustment is trying to figure out how to get all the stuff I need to be in the correct place. This isn’t a big deal, going back and forth by car, but it becomes a larger issue when walking. I’m still doing a lot of work at home, because of the overload problems I still encounter in new places and in crowds. With offices in two places, planning far enough ahead to have all the pieces in the right place at the right time is proving to be daunting.

For the fall schedule, my goal has been to reserve a day a week solely for writing on my book. This has not happened yet because of the rush of other stuff. My challenge for this weekend is to get enough of the underbrush cleared that I can stabilize in a way that allows blocks of time. Turning off the email notification when new email arrives has been a step in the right direction, but of course that doesn’t do anything to reduce the volume of email that still needs to be acted upon and answered. Even given as remote as I am these days, the volume seems overwhelming at times. That’s a problem I haven’t solved yet, nor my propensity to add projects all the time.

I’ve got the first step of my new action plan under way: a group letter to the editor is in the works. Staying silent is simply not an option for me any more. Whatever the additional cost--on top of that already borne--is one I’m willing to pay. We’ll see how things go.

No comments:

Post a Comment