Wednesday, August 5, 2009

A Condition to Match My Flaws

It occurred to me the other day that this medical adventure provided the perfect opportunity for personal growth. One of my biggest flaws, one could even say my biggest character defect, is that I tend to be a little black and white about a lot of things. My challenge has always been to see more grey in situations, and to be more forgiving of myself and others.


Seeing things clearly is an asset in most of the professional situations in which I find myself and, indeed, is the basis of much of my career. At the same time, much of life falls in the grey zones and being more open, and more accepting of that, is a useful trait.


Having a health challenge that’s invisible after the initial recovery, and one in which much of the progress is a matter of perception, is the perfect treatment for my preference for clarity. Nothing much is clear now, and learning to tolerate that is a useful and character-building exercise for me. I haven't gotten to being grateful for or celebrating this exercise. Maybe that part comes later?


I’m struggling with another chapter of my book, and it’s not going well or quickly, so rather than sticking with this much more appealing form of writing, I’m going to get back at it.


Best to everyone for a great August day.

No comments:

Post a Comment